Thursday, February 26, 2009

Day Two - One Day of Sobriety Under My Belt

The cup has passed. Today is the first day in a long time that I can say - yesterday I did not drink alcohol. Usually after a long stretch of drinking consistently when I cut down I can feel my anxiety increase. Perhaps it is a chemical side effect of withdrawal. Perhaps it has more to do with no longer insulating myself from the issues that distress me in my life. Well, so far I am fine. I do not feel anxious. This begs the question, what is different in my life now that I do not feel anxious? I don't have the answer, but I do have a sense that things are being set right. Last night I did feel a little anxious. Along with that anxiety came irritability and annoyance with the people in my life. But then I went alone to the church service and had the ashes put on my forehead. Interestingly, after the service the anxiety was relieved. I think my issues with others might have more to do with myself than I have previously seen.

--GJC

No comments:

Post a Comment